What is the difference between Mainstream Music and Underground Music?
I know that before I start posting different articles about underground music, I should first differentiate it from mainstream just for other’s sake. J
Firstly, what is mainstream music?
Mainstream music is basically those songs you hear all over the radio played 10x a day or those that tops the countdown for weeks and even months. Mainstream bands are usually those who are privileged enough to get signed to major labels and have mall tours around the country. These artists entertain big crowds and get paid. Their songs are sung by about 7 out of 10 listeners and are really major players in the music industry.
What is Underground music then?
Underground music is also referred to as “Do-It-Yourself Music or Band”. These musicians are known to have the talents but not the money to go mainstream. Unlike the mainstream musicians, these underground artists are usually not under any major record labels and don’t sell out most of their albums. Their songs are not usually sung by the common mouth but by those few people who are familiar with them. Sadly, they are often treated as underdogs in the music industry.
Why will I feature the underground music?
Underground music is one of the things that really inspire my life. I consider these underground musicians as an inspiration. Basically because they create their own music and they only express what they really feel. They create music for the people who support them not for those who pay them. Though they don’t have that enough fund to produce top selling records, they do not stop producing music the way they want it to be. Their music is their choice and not by some fat guys in suits with golden necklaces. Some may consider their music as noise but if they only go deeper into the song and into the artists, they would surely know what it is all about. And that is what I am going to do in this blog. This will be all about underground music and artists so the world can hear what they really want to say.
![]() |
| photo courtesy from Read Our Lines |
-firebreather-


ayos! first blog post. :)
TumugonBurahin