Martes, Hulyo 5, 2011

From GOTO to the Stage : ADDAREUM


Emerging from the Southern Tagalog region, this five-piece “melodramatic indie” band breaks into the underground music scene for over a year now. Formed in the latter part of May 2010, this band is composed of Japz Umali on vocals, ER Reyes (formerly on bass) and Lon Dalin on guitars, Maykole Maquinto (new member)  on bass and Jess Adan on drums. This band takes their sound to another level with their new member and with a new perspective.

*I am too lucky to have Japz (vox) as my cousin, thus I had a privilege to have a one-on-one interview with him.

Me: How did Addareum started?
Japz: It was all like an instant idea. We (I and Lon) were eating “goto” somewhere in Sta. Rosa when I thought of asking Lon to be our guitarist for my latest band that time. Instead of answering me, he told me to form a new band with him. I considered the idea and we searched for the other possible members we could get. I, then, got Jess Adan on drums from one of my existing bands that time. Then we got ER Reyes on guitars. We failed to acquire a bassist so ER decided that he’ll be playing the bass instead. And there, we decided to play as a band. (Maykole just came along after a year)

Me: Why “ADDAREUM”?
Japz: It was a bit of a not-so-long story. We really wanted to have a very unique name but it was really hard to think of one. We wanted it to be just one word so that it’ll be easy to remember. We’ve got brainstorming and had lots of suggestion but they’re all rejected. Until one time, while we were eating hamburger  at Minute Burger, I and Lon came up with the name ADDAREUM from the first two letters of our own surnames. We also had two more options, Endorphine and Happy Hormones form ER. So we voted and majority won. We were then called ADDAREUM. J

Me: What are you influences in music?
Japz: We have lots of influences. They’re usually the bands that Lon and I listen to. Some of these bands are Love Me Butch, Saosin, Hopes Fall, Augustana and Thursday. Jess’ influences are mostly progressive rock like Dream Theatre. It’s just like anything we wanted to listen to, anything that soothes our ears. We want to create our own music, thus, we listen to different music to influence us.

Me: So, what is you band’s genre?
Japz: (laughs) We call it “melodramatic indie”.of course, rock. But not the modern one. I think we fall into the old school type of rock together with the nu metal  genre.

Me: How was your first gig as ADDAREUM?
Japz: Successful J We were a bit nervous and hesitant at first because we were new while the rest of the bands were already known in the scene. We were setting up but most of the people were going outside. But when we started to play our first song, a cover song from Love Me Butch, the people started to come in and listen to us. We didn’t know that they’d like the song. That night we were able to earn their support and respect. We just enjoyed the night. J

Me: What was your first original composition?
Japz: Our first original composition was “Silent Forecast”.

Me: How did Silent Forecast came to be?
Japz: When we were making that song, we were all waiting for Lon’s guitar riffs. With every riff he makes, I write lyrics. Good thing, I have a very good inspiration during that time. So I just wrote lyrics, and there, we came up with the “Silent Forecast”.

Me: Do you dedicate that song to someone?
Japz: It’s actually for my ex-girlfriend (points at the monitor) look, she’s online J

Me: How about your 2nd song?
Japz: The 2nd song, “Voices and Angels”, we finished it just the same time we finished composing Silent Forecast. We never thought that it’ll be our 2nd song. I was just writing it for fun. I wanted to make a song for the people you don’t want to lose especially those who are there for you in times of need.

Me: Do you already have your third song?
Japz: We’re still on the process. Lon already created some riffs and I have written some lyrics. We’ve also decided to lessen song covers because we recently acquired our newest member, our new bassist, Maykole. We’ll be adding more “kikay factor”. We’ll be creating new sounds. 

Me: Wh is your newest member?
Japz: He’s been familiar with us since we entered the underground scene. We’ve already seen him in some events we attested before. I was able to personally befriend him through exchange of text messages. One time, I asked him  to come to one of our jam sessions. After a while, Lon suggested to get him as our new bassist because they know that Maykole plays the bass guitar well. So it’ll be Lon and ER on guitars and Maykole on bass. J

Me: You are in the underground scene, if a big recording label would offer to handle you to go mainstream, would you accept it?
Japz: (asks Maykole) you, MAykole, would you accept it?
Maykole: NO! (laughs)
Japz: Neither do I. Fame is what you get from mainstream but it’s not what we want. We want respect from people who appreciates our music. Fame fades while respect remains.
 ***

  • Silent Forecast
  • Voices and Angels

Supervillain says:

              I totally like this band, Addareum, despite the fact that Japz is my cousin and Maykole is my boyfriend. I first heard their song through Youtube. If i had no idea that this band is local, i would think that this band is foreign. The song "Silent Forecast"  was a bit addictive. It has this upbeat but heavy type of sound. The lyrics were easy to digest because of the good choice of words done. The different  parts of the song brings different types of sound. I got a long-lasting "Last Song Syndrome" with it. The screams made the song heavy but not too much. It's just right for the ears and for a music loving heart. I have good hopes for this band. I know that they'rr be able to leave a mark in the Philippines' underground music scene. They sure have a long way to go and surely more stages to rock! 

Members:
Japz Umali- vocals
photo courtesy from Japzter Hoi on Facebook

ER Reyes- guitars

Lon Dalin- guitars

Jess Adan- drums

Maykole Maquinto- bass


Check them out through these sites:

www.myspace.com/addareum
-the supervillain/firebreather-





1 komento: